Thursday, December 22, 2011

Neil Simon Collaborating with Anton Chekhov


The Good Doctor, of course, is not a play at all. There are sketches, vaudeville scenes, if you will, written with my non-consenting collaborator, Anton Chekhov. Not the Chekhov of The Sea Gull and The Three Sisters, but the young man who wrote humorous articles for the newspapers to pay his way through medical school. It was a pastiche for me, an enjoyable interlude before getting on to bigger things. It was, to digress for a moment, a joyous experience for me. I met my wife doing this one. Some of the scenes worked; others didn't. The marriage, I'm glad to say, did.

Neil Simon
Los Angeles, Nov. 7th, 1977 (McGovern, 1979)


Taken From: https://www.msu.edu/~pelowsk1/neilsimon/plays/doctor.html

No comments:

Post a Comment